Saturday, July 15, 2006

the proof is in the pudding




Several years ago, in a sociology class, I was told that over 80% of African-American women would spend their lives single—with no prospects for marriage. According to our text (and professor), most eligible black males would be in prison, a victim of homicide, or in a meaningful relationship—with another male.

Although these are the most prominent explanations for the increase in single black women, some of my closest friends would offer other reasons for the phenomena. They, like most women of color, would argue that there is a shortage of “good” men rather than a shortage of “eligible” ones. They would say that men are dishonest, threatened by their independence, or incapable of handling a committed relationship.

Like many of my friends, I have had my share of “man problems”. Fortunately, as I’ve grown older, I see things with a little more clarity than before. Like some of my friends, I blamed men for most of the issues in my relationships—and ignored my part. Now, with very little reservation, I believe it’s time to share what I know to be true about being single and the mistakes we (women of color) make to keep us single.

In my opinion, there is only one rule to happiness: Be Honest. It sounds simple, but once you begin to practice it—you recognize that it can be very challenging. Years ago, I read a book that said that “we hate in others those things we don’t see in our selves”.

In the past year, I have listened to countless stories from some of my most cherished friends and family members. As with most friends, we share the “ups” and “downs” of our relationships. With each call, I have found myself getting more and more annoyed. Initially, I didn’t know why each one of my friends were able to make me RAVING MAD!
(things that make you go...hmmmm.....)

With each call, I found myself upset with all the “crap” they were taking—then I realized….it was me. Okay…maybe not the same stories…or the same extremes….but me nevertheless….

Here are some words of wisdom gathered from a road less traveled…

Don’t shape what you’re looking for around what you have found.

People show you who they really are in how they treat you—believe them the first time.

If it’s not working for you—don’t work so hard for it. It’s probably not worth it.

Love takes time—Fools rush in

Carry yourself with the respect you demand from others

Its okay to be single—cause you’re never really alone

Finding love is easier than maintaining it—don’t be too proud to humble yourself.

Be sure you’re able to give as much as you want in a relationship.

NEVER date someone who yells and/or curses at you—it will escalate

Don’t pretend to be happier than you are—you will NEVER fool those who truly know you.


The Counselor

3 comments:

paz y amor said...

I think everything you said here is very true. The only person who can make you happy is yourself and I wish more people would begin to understand that. It takes a while to learn and understand the things that keep us from the most meaningful relationships.

Kiyotoe said...

This topic is soooooooo deep to me that it's hard to tackle it unless i know i don't have anywhere to go for a while. So many angles, aspects, scenarios, situations, exceptions, etc. that must be defined when exploring "relationships".

Plain and simple, "Be honest" like you said. That's the path of least resistance. Problem is.....how many of us are truly, sincerely, 100% honest with our "other" 100% of the time?

Be Honest.........

The Counselor said...

Okay...

Not many of us are 100% honest with our mates 100% of the time. I think that has to do with the fact that we can't share a truth that we aren't personally aware of.

I can't tell you that I don't really love you--if I'm not sure what real love is...

I can't tell you that I would be a horrible father to your kids because my father was a horrible father to me--If I don't recognize the similarities between us...


I think what prevents us from being 100% honest with our "other" is that WE KNOW that if we said WHAT WE REALLY FELT or THOUGHT (uncensored) 100% of the time we would increase the chances of ending our relationship significantly.

Can't say..."yesterday, I was thinking about cheating on you. Spoke to the ex for about an hour and decided against it"....
100% honest, but maybe not all that necessary.

Honesty is really hard in a relationship. Unfortunately, I believe it's the key to making a relationship work. Many people feel more comfortable being honest about their relationships with family and friends. Although I think family and friends are EXTREMELY important, I think it's even more important to be honest with your "other". If more of us don't find a way to do so, then we may find ourselves in relationships built on half-truths and white lies...

and that HAS TO BE to be worse than the truth.

Counselor tip of the day: When being honest in a relationship, place the emphasis on preserving your loved one's time and feelings rather than preserving relationship. The latter only delays that which is inevitable.