Growing up, my father (now deceased) had a variety of embarrassing nicknames for me. Among “stinker”, and “hamburger” was the infamous “Jabba Jaws”. Only those close to me know the appropriateness of that last nickname, ...in time some of you will find out it's significance... lol...
Anyway, as most of my readers know, I have quite a few concerns regarding air travel. And, due to the holidays, I was able to add yet another experience to my ongoing list…
Saturday morning was a hectic day for me. As usual, I waited until the wee hours of the morning before preparing for my flight to Chicago.
(side note: people who pack for their flight more than 6 hours prior to their trip are boring—and lack the stamina to handle self-inflicted stress…make that wrong a right and add that to your 2007 to-do-list)
Unfortunately, everything worked out as planned (I say that because I’ll continue procrastinate until I suffer the consequences of my behavior). I packed my luggage and The Dragon took me to the airport. It took me all of five minutes to check my baggage with the skycap and make it through security…. it had been confirmed…“I, not Ali, was the greatest of all time”
Time Check: 8:30 a.m.
I was scheduled to board my flight at 10:45am, but at 11:00 am, there wasn’t an agent to be found. To make a long story short, my flight was delayed to 2:00pm, 4:00pm, and finally 5:30pm. Eventually, I was placed on a flight leaving for Chicago at 5:46pm with a different airline altogether.
So…I know you think this blog is about my HORRIBLE experience with flight delays at the airport for the holidays, but you’re wrong. This blog is about the the adventures of Jabba Jaws at Hartsfield International Airport...
It was amazing. I had a wonderful time with people I didn’t even know. First there was Ann Marie (who was going to Oklahoma to be with her mother) and Annette (going to Dallas). We chatted like three old girlfriends--we talked about men, stereotypes in the black community, actors/actresses that couldn't act, and "relations". It was hilarious!! They kept telling me how funny they thought I was, but really I enjoyed their company twice as much. After they left me to board their flights (which were leaving as scheduled), some would have thought my fun would come to an end. Guess what?? It didn't!!
Jabba Jaws struck again! By 4pm, I had a gang that I bonded with… R.T., Jeff, Maggie, and Connie. We had a wonderful time!! We talked about EVERYTHING and EVERYBODY. We laughed until we cried! We had so much fun that we were almost saddened when we had to board our plane. Was the party over? Nope. Why? We all ended sitting in the same location and rows. We even learned that a couple of us would be on the returning flight together.
It was wonderful. So, wonderful that it got me to thinking. Why doesn't this type of thing happen more often? Are we so busy with our computers, cell phones, and cars that we've eliminated our ability to bond with other people? I had a ball with people I might have never talked to if my flight had left on time. As we laughed and joked, I noticed people who appeared envious of our joy. People who looked like they wanted to share, talk, and participate--but for some reason couldn't do it. Why is that?
So, I write this blog to say that many of us underestimate the importance of humor in our everday lives. I believe that it's NECESSARY in our relationships (i.e. romantic and platonic alike), our family circle, our workplace, etc.
I, especially after Saturday, have learned that humor and laughter can make some of the most trying situations enjoyable.
So, this holiday season…whether you are at home alone, with friends or family, with plenty of money or without…laugh. Find the humor and the joy around you and live life.
Sincerely,
Jabba Jaws

11 comments:
Pssshhh....i'll give anybody $500.00 if they can sit in a room with Jabba Jaws for an hour without cracking a smile, giggle, or SOMETHING. It's impossible cuz that's what you do.
In fact, i think you should change the name of your blog to "Jabba Jaws a.ka. The Counselor" yeeaaahhh.
Good to see you back, your friends have missed you. I think they were starting to wonder if i had you locked up in the basement somewhere.
Kiyotoe: Thanks for letting me out for Christmas. :)
I wish folks talked to each other more. I'm like you, I'll strike up a conversation with almost anybody. Sometimes people look at me like I'm crazy but there are those wonderful times when you are able to just connect with folks. People at airports, especially when there are flight delays, are too busy calling everyone in their cell phone contacts to complain about the delay.
Hope you had a great time in the Chi!
Welcome back!!!!!!
I see nothing wrong with you jabber jawing with all those folks! I was in a chat room type environment before blogging and it was normal for people to come into the chat room and ask where everyone was from.
Well.. last summer Mike and I were on vacation, waiting for Old Faithful to sprout as a matter of fact. Everyone was just standing around being bored, so I started asking everybody where they were from.
I repeated this a few other places, too. It was fun!
What's Mama Wendy's number?!?! Didn't she teach you not to talk to strangers? You need a spankin'....
Welcome back.
Humor is a great compensator for shyness. I'm pretty shy around people that I don't know, but sometimes just cracking a small joke will get me started. Glad you're blogging again.
Liz: I'm having a great time in Chicago. I'm a little disappointed because it wasn't a White Christmas, but I'll get over it! LOL
Skittles: Thanks for the Welcome! I knew I had to post before you left another msg on the board :)
Paz: After that library incident, I thought I'd learned my lesson. Guess not...oh well.
Mist1: Thanks for coming back and checking on me! I feel soooo special :) Hope you're enjoying the holidays.
Mike: I REALLY needed that break, but I must admit...I missed blogging a lot. You think we all could be addicts??
you all ARE addicts.....
but not me.
Welcome back!
Ohhh, it's so much fun meeting strangers when you have nothing to do but wait!
(did that all the time in long lines for hours at conventions) sometimes they even turn into long term friends!
It sounds like you had a good holiday!
nothing makes me as happy as when im out and about and somebody i dont know talks to me. that may seem such a simple thing but it really seldom ever happens here which is such a sad thing. i have lived in the same place for 16 years and nobody, not even my neighbours have uttered so much as a hello- let alone somebody im sitting on a bus, train, plane with. as i said, some of the happiest times have been when i have struck up a conversation with a stranger, or they have offered a random act of kindness. reignites your faith in the world.
Post a Comment